Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ending with the beginning and beginning with the ending

Something strange occurred to me last week that really probably should've occurred to me sooner. There's an odd crossing of worlds in my life. I write pretty constantly, either at my day job as a journalist or at my other job as a creative writer. But here's the thing that occurred to me. These two styles of writing are in direct conflict with one another in one very fundamental way.

Okay, here's the example. The City Council here in my hometown has been in turmoil for months and they've ended up in district court over it. I've been covering it every step of the way, and last week I wrote up a story about the latest court date. My opening paragraph went something like this:

The ongoing issues of the local City Council have spilled over into District Court for the second time of 2011 as the Judge denied the motion that would see the three removed council members reinstated.
After convening at 9:00 am, the Judge allowed each side to...

And so on and so forth. The important thing to note is the end of the first paragraph, in which I completely and totally spoil the ending of the story. I've been a journalist for five years now and it never occurred to me that I was doing this. But for some reason, the wall has come down and now the creative writer inside of me has become aware that this is happening, and boy is he mad. Seriously, how can you spoil the ending?! IT'S THE BEST PART! If I was using my creative writing skills, the opening paragraph would've been something like this:

The judge studied the documents in front of him for a solid minute, seemingly unaware of the full courtroom waiting for him to begin the proceedings. Finally, mercifully, he looked up and addressed the tense participants.
"You all know why we're here," the judge said solemnly.
The defendant instinctively reached for the glass of water in front of him but paused, not wanting to appear nervous. His lawyer had no such hang-up and drank generously, doing whatever he must to avoid eye contact with the judge. Things were no less tense for the plaintiffs and hand wringing had begun in earnest. The court reporter cracked his knuckles and took a deep breath.
"Let's do this thing," he muttered to himself.
The judge smirked, having overheard his trusty court reporter. He let his eyes dance across all gathered in his courtroom, took a deep breath of his own, and then spoke once more.
"Let's dispense some justice."

That would be my beginning and the shocking ruling would be saved for where it rightfully belongs. Maybe I should just start writing all of my news stories this way and see what my editors say. I could revolutionize the business! Or be fired!

Anyways, just thought that was an odd thing to just now realize after half a decade on the job. Of course, now that I've realized it I can't unrealize it and so I think about it a lot now. But what's a man to do other than begin with the end when needed?

1 comment:

  1. haha, good point! I think you should try writing it like that sometime just to see. :)

    ReplyDelete