Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day One

Well, day one of the new sleep schedule seemed to go really well. I felt more mentally acute than I have in months, to a degree that actually freaked me out a little bit. It made me feel like I had been seeing the world through a slight haze for the past month or more and now it was gone, and I was finally fully awake. I slept straight through the night, and honestly that's probably the first straight 8 hours of sleep I've gotten in over a year. I normally sleep 5 or 6 hours at the most. So yeah, I think I may be an all new, super powered version of myself if I keep this up. I'm weirdly excited that it's almost bedtime now. I'm about to lay down and turn on a show and just relax and welcome the end of a good day.

Well, good day aside from that horrible Texas Rangers loss, but we won't discuss that.

I did my first coverage of Benbrook City Council today, that was fun. I've wanted to branch my council coverages out to neighboring cities for a while now and this was the first time I've done it. They have an amazing website that makes it super easy to watch the council meetings and it was a good experience. I liked it a lot and had fun, which is weird I guess. I suppose I've missed writing council coverages seeing as the primary one I cover here in my hometown hasn't met but three or four times in the past four or five months.

I'm giving up on the book I was reading. It was so poetically written, so magnanimously worded, so full of fearful fire and geared with grinding grit, packed to the gills with packing tape and gusto, as if it were a box begging to be shipped to the top of the world, feet tucked in and diving off of the cliffside with a scream escaping from pursed lips as they prepare to plunge into the depths below; certainly, with no hesitation. Seriously, the book was all like that. In a way it's a beautiful work of art but I've been struggling for two months to read it and I just can't ever stomach more than a few pages at a time. The guy is so obsessed with crafting these insanely complex sentences that it takes fifteen pages for a character to go from point a to point b. I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks it's a masterpiece, but I prefer more story in my stories.

Now I'm faced with the daunting task of choosing my next book from the hundreds I've yet to read. I'm leaning towards "Sandman Slim".

Alright, I guess I'll shut up now. I'm kind of wide awake, which worries me a bit. I'm hopeful that getting everything quieted down and getting in bed will help make me more tired. I hope the week is rolling along smoothly for all of you!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new sleep schedule Aaron. You know how crazy my sleep pattern is. I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete