Wednesday, April 20, 2011

one simple rule

Another day of sleeping like a human has come and gone and I feel good. I didn't accomplish nearly as much as I should've today, but I gave my permission to take it easy. Sometimes I can be such a harsh taskmaster over my projects and deadlines that I don't fit in any time to just recharge and have a day to regroup and refocus. Today was that kind of day and it felt good. I had work early and I did a few work things throughout the day, but mostly I just let the day flow. Watched a movie, read a book, planned a few future projects, thought a lot about vacations (fun fact: I LOVE daydreaming about and planning vacations. It's my goal in life to someday have the resources to follow through on all of those plans) and that was about it. I will say though, I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow and getting back on track. There's a tall stack of MUST BE DONE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE HOLY CRAP! things going on in my life, and they won't be ignored two days in a row. A few weeks ago I was feeling pretty overwhelmed by some of that stuff, but my brother and I had a breakthrough about how to deal with that stuff and it's been a major help to me. In a nutshell, it's just about doing what you can. If you can, awesome, and if you can't then you can't, and you deal with it. It's a very zen kind of approach that I find inspires me to work super hard but to do it from a place of calmness and not in this frantic state of "MUST GET DONE". So that's nice.

My roommate and I stayed up super late last week and were talking about lifestyle changes and reliable ways to work out and such. Mostly we were trying to figure out somewhere we could go swimming at this Summer, as both of us love to swim but didn't do it a single time last year (and I'm kind of thinking I didn't swim the year before that either). But anyways, while talking about diets and exercise regimens and such, my roommate came up with an idea of a system with a single rule. No matter what it is you decide to do to get in shape and get healthy, you have just this one single rule to follow. Don't Quit. That's it. One simple, powerful rule. It's something that I'm trying to apply to everything in my life that I wasn't doing a good job of controlling, most notably my nutso sleep schedule (or lack thereof).

Speaking of sleep, it's just about that time for me. Hopefully the week is treating you all well up to this point. I'm excited about Thursday. It's become family day for me, I go to my families house and hang out with everyone, play with my nephews, have a business meeting with my bro and then play a board game with my mom, sister-in-law and grandpa. It's always a great time and such a refreshing and recharging experience to spend a big handful of hours around the people that love you no matter what and you love them no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment