Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Follow the Leader

I don't blog nearly as much as most of my favorite authors do. Self promotion 101 for authors is to have a strong online presence, a way to connect with your readers. Usually when I blog it's to overshare about my life, and not anything too terribly related to my writing. But, my writing is something I'm deeply passionate about, and it's what I spend a huge amount of my time doing, so why wouldn't I blog about it? So here we go, in what I'll try (but may fail) to make a much more regular thing.

Current Project = Writing Black Badge Season 2
% Complete = 75
The past few days have seen huge progress on Black Badge Season 2. I completed episode 8 on Monday, then started episode 9 later that night. All in all it was a 4700 word day, which is almost double my usual average of 2500. Then yesterday I completed episode 9, writing an additional 4400 words for a 9k+ two day total, which is really good.

If you're thinking "Hey, isn't Black Badge Season 2 supposed to debut on hallbrosentertainment.com in just 26 days? Then why the heck are you still writing it?" you're not alone, because I think that a lot these days too. I'm not taking a long time to write it, I took a long time before STARTING to write it. It's an important distinction for me, as I pride myself on being fast with projects, but it's not that important of a distinction when it comes to the fact that it really needs to get done soon.

As for the story itself, it's sailing along beautifully. I'm really amazed at the amount of growth the characters are having over this season, and pleased to see them maturing and changing and making working on a sequel everything I always dreamed it could be.

For today's goals, I'll be doing my quick edits on episodes 8 and 9, and then starting episode 10. I'm not planning on writing much on 10 tonight, that way I can give my sore pinkie (pinky?) finger a day off. I'm hoping for 1500 words or so, and the overall goal is to be first draft done by Friday Aug 26.

Other Stuff
Received the proof copy for Martin T. Ingham's "West of the Warlock" today and it looks so gorgeous. Once again our cover designer Paul Milligan has knocked it out of the park, as the book is just fantastic in every way. Martin created what is perhaps the most entertaining story I've read in many years, and while you're welcome and encouraged to read it for free as it runs episodically over on the Hall Brothers website, trust me when I say you're going to want the collected edition. So many extras, and just an amazing book to own so you can read it again and again.

On a personal level, I'm doing fantastic. High school is back in session, which means my summer off from sports coverages is over. I'll be at a HS football scrimmage on Friday morning, a Volleyball tournament on Saturday morning, and from there the sports coverage rollercoaster carries on. I love football, but the season is extremely intensive and I almost always end up getting sick towards the end of it or right after it. I'd love to avoid that this year.

You'd think I'd be dreading the return of sports, but I'm not. I get to go back to doing photography, which I really enjoy, and getting to watch a ton of sporting events for free is a pretty good way to make a living in the world.

Beyond that, I'm doing flantastic. About to watch the Texas Rangers, I'm reading a new book called Sandman Slim, I'll be spending the day tomorrow with my family, I came up with an amazingly awesome idea for a new novel yesterday, life's good for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment